#InclusiveSciComm Symposium Code of Conduct:
The #InclusiveSciComm Symposium is dedicated to providing a safe, hospitable, and productive environment for everyone present, regardless of ethnicity, religion, ability, physical appearance, or gender. A conference where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. Accordingly, the #InclusiveSciComm Symposium prohibits intimidating, threatening, or harassing conduct during this gathering. This policy applies to speakers, organizers, volunteers, and attendees.
Harassment of participants will not be tolerated in any form. Harassment includes:
- Offensive verbal or written comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, employment, politics, marital status, etc.
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, #InclusiveSciComm organizers will take any action they deem appropriate, ranging from a verbal warning to expulsion from the symposium. In keeping with the University of Rhode Island’s procedures, any incident of discrimination or discriminatory harassment will be reported to the URI Office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Diversity.
#InclusiveSciComm organizers may take action to address any actions or behavior disrupting the conference or making the environment hostile for any participants. We expect participants to follow these rules at all symposium events and #InclusiveSciComm-related social activities.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the symposium planning committee or Metcalf Institute staff immediately (in person, recognizable by yellow name badges, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
We value your attendance, and want to make the conference experience as educational, productive, and fun as possible.